What to do when you cannot reset passwords using ADUC snap-in?
Let’s consider a real life practical working scenario wherein when you try to reset passwords on an account using the Active Directory Users and Computers Snap-in, you completely fail to do so and get the following error message instead:
“Windows cannot complete the password change for Userx because:The password does not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum password length, password complexity, and password history requirements.”
Now that we have come to know the error message, let’s discuss the primary cause behind the occurrence of the above mentioned error message.
As a matter of fact, there can be many reasons behind the occurrence of the aforementioned error message. Some of them are as follows:
- According to the password length policy, your password is quite short
- Your chosen password is been used more than the number of times specified by the password history
- There is no capital letter and number in your password
- Either your password policy is being applied but not defined
- Too restrictive domain security password policy
Now let’s come to the resolution part.
In order to verify and set the password policy settings, perform the below mentioned following steps:
- Start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
- Right click the name of the domain.
- Click the Properties.
- Click the Group Policy tab.
- Click the Default Domain Policy.
the Edit button.
The Group Policy Editor starts.
- Click Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Account Policies -> Password Policy.
the below mentioned settings:
Minimum Password Length, Password History, Password Complexity
- Click the Ok button.
- Quit the Group Policy Editor.
- Quit the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
Although, you can verify and set the password policy settings using the aforementioned steps, a far better option is to use a professional and proficient third party Employee self service portal tool to reset your account password.
Lepide Active Directory Self Service is a professional and efficient Employee self service portal tool that is devised to enable users easily reset their account passwords without any help from the system administrator.